Friday, July 11, 2003

Ann Coulter's New Book

Yes, it does come off a little rant-y, and there are some (even conservatives) who feel she paints with too broad a brush. I am not entirely certain she's wrong about the majority of liberals and dems in the current congress. The anti-American attitudes that came to the fore in the 60s are rampant, IMHO, in the likes of Nancy Pelosi, David Bonior (okl, he's not in congress now, but he was), Tom Daschle and others.

Ann's defense of Joe McCarthy is interesting, mostly because I believe it stays on point. I remember in school when I was first becoming aware of politics, following up on teacher commentaries on the evils of Joe McCarthy, asking "but did he ever catch any communists?" Stupid me. My first assumption was that, whatever McCarthy was, that communism was bad. The responses I would get ranged from laughter to a kind of mumbled dismissal of the question itself. One teacher indicated, well, MAYbe he caught a few, but well, you know, he hurt a lot of people, and bla bla bla. Coulter's book indicates that, given the relevations of the decoded Venona memos, that yes, McCarthy actually WAS on the trail of real commies in our government. Enemies in our government. Wasn't this a problem? This doesn't seem to be the point, really, in the left's mind, I guess.

No comments:

Join My Community at MyBloglog!