Sunday, April 4, 2004

Is this what we're paying for?

My alma mater, and my daughter's presumptive alma mater, Indiana University, has a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Office. I discovered this reading an IDS article dealing with protests/counter-protests surrounding a performance of "The Laramie Project."

"Laramie" is a dramatization of events surrounding the gay-lynching of Matthew Shephard several years ago. I have no problem with this. I've not seen the play, but I've heard good things about it. This is not my issue.

My issue is: why, in the name of everything rational does a university need an office for Gay,Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender, um, people? There's a director, Doug Bauder, who presumably helps such folks deal with discrimination issues, health issues peculiar to this group, etc. I don't know. And, I have nothing against Mr. Bauder or the people he serves. I just think that this is one more example of useless spending in the name of "diversity" and political correctness. And I assume my tuition dollars are paying for it. Don't the people this office serves have other resources such as police, courts, health services, etc?

No comments:

Join My Community at MyBloglog!