Saturday, February 4, 2006

What the...? Dept.

USATODAY.com reports that the Federal government is going to now help us have better marriages.
Feds turn eye to healthy marriages: "Congress approved a $750 million, five-year plan aimed at building healthier marriages Wednesday as part of its deficit reduction bill.
The measure now goes to President Bush. It includes $100 million a year for marriage-related programs and $50 million a year for fatherhood programs. This is the first time Congress has earmarked money for marriage programs, says Ron Haskins of the Brookings Institution's Center on Children and Families."
Do we actually need a government program for this? I mean, aren't there enough counselors, churches and bartenders out there to give us advice on this subject? Why does government know what a "better" marriage is?

I'm ashamed of Republicans for coming up with it. Just because I don't want my government subsidizing welfare moms (a family-destroying policy, by the way) doesn't mean I want them "helping" me or anyone else with our marriags. This goes for busybody Republicans as well as nanny-state Liberals: leave us the hell alone.

No comments:

Join My Community at MyBloglog!