Monday, October 2, 2006

Double-secret no-tolerance watch

This is so stupid, I wonder if there's more to the story we're not being told. The New York Times reports that an art teacher with 28 years in the classroom has been suspended for taking her fifth-graders to an art museum where they saw (gasp) nude art. A parent complained and the teacher's out on her fully-clothed rear end.

If it been an exhibit of erotic art the kids saw, I could possibly understand, but nudity is classic. Nudity (involving the right people) is beautiful. And it IS art. I grew up with an appreciation of this because my father is an amateur artist (quite good, actually) who painted nudes and hung them in the house from the time I was five or six years old. I did have friends who thought it was weird, but to me it was only natural. We didn't run around naked in our house, we just appreciated ART.

I hope this woman gets her job back, with a big-time apology, but she probably won't. And that's sad.

No comments:

Join My Community at MyBloglog!